Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Saturday, December 4, 2021

Center Game, Heir of Drachma, Book Two - Chapter Twenty-Eight

Here is the final chapter in Book Two of Heir of Drachma, and as you can see, there is so much more to tell. Book Three is still being written, and I will be posting some chapters after a while.











Chapter Twenty-Eight

 

 

 

 

The dinner with Craycroft had been a major event in the life of Lisa and Sylvie. To be treated like royalty and to be given such a meal was more than they could imagine. After the meal, though, Lisa was getting very tired, so Sylvie timidly asked to be excused, so she could get Lisa some rest.

 

“But of course, you may be excused.” Craycroft looked at Lisa and added. “And to Lisa I would extend my arm of friendship, and to say that she is welcome to come up at any time, for I would love that.”

 

Craycroft had invited Kerlin and Cayman to join Marilyn, Jeanne, Fausto, Derrymoor, Gregorio, Sylvie and Lisa for dinner.  As expected, he had ulterior motives for doing so. As soon as Sylvie had taken Lisa out, he made things quite clear.

 

“So much has happened in the past few days,” began Craycroft, “that I thought that I would take advantage of the fact that we are all together to discuss how to implement our resources. But first, I would like to formally introduce the Lady Marilyn. As you know, she is the wife of Master Robert from his former life, and she has graciously accepted our hospitality.”

 

Marilyn felt as awkward as she ever had but tried not to show it. She simply smiled and looked down at her plate.

 

“I would also like to introduce our newest ally, Count Gregorio.”

 

Gregorio nodded, as Kerlin and Cayman nodded as well, but somewhat less than enthusiastically.

 

“What Count Gregorio represents is the addition of forty-one more men for our armamentarium. Now, to be honest, these men were initially foes, who did capture our men and women whom I had sent into the interior. This group was routed by our Forest Guard and returned to us as our own prisoners. The remainder of our persons have been moved on to Castle Kearney, with the exception of Master Robert, about whom I shall speak in a minute. Nevertheless, these are well-trained fighting men. They do not all speak English, yet enough of them do, that they can be arranged to be of good use to you. For further reassurance, we do have a signed treaty, ensuring the full support of Count Gregorio, in our efforts against LeGace and his minions.”

 

Derrymoor then produced a paper, which he passed on to Kerlin and Cayman.

 

Craycroft continued. “At the mention of our foe, the Count was actually quite enthusiastic in his support, having dealt with Master LeGace in the past. Is this not so, Count?”

 

“Yes, it is. And in honor of your fair dealings with me, I do pledge my full support. And against such a man – paahh.” This was accompanied by a gesture indicating what he thought of LeGace.

 

Craycroft waited until the snickering died down. “And so, I leave it to you, Kerlin and Cayman, in conjunction with Lord Derrymoor to work with the Count to assign duties and to divide up the persons in whatever way you see fit. I have been assured by Captain Proust that there are weapons enough to go around.

 

“And that brings me to my associate, Jeanne. I believe, Jeanne, that you have a couple of things to report.”

 

“Indeed, I do. Firstly, I would like to warmly welcome Lady Marilyn, who I know, does feel rather awkward in her circumstance. If there is anything that ye need, please feel free to contact me.” Jeanne smiled graciously at Marilyn, who felt marginally better.

 

“The next thing is that I have done a bit of subterfuge, if you will. I was able to secure the aid of a woman, whom I shall not name, who is intimately involved with Leonardo, who does work as assistant to Master LeGace, and from whom I could extract some useful information. I plan to meet with her regularly, and I shall report anything I hear to Lord Craycroft.

 

“And the next bit of information is that two of our pages, Mortimer and Tingley have been speaking with, and are friendly with our two Scotsmen, Enoch and Clifton. They have found out that Master LeGace plans to meet with them for dinner. So far, they have not shown any tendency toward evil, but the pages will keep after the Scotsmen to make certain of that.”

 

“That is very good, especially in light of our enemy’s most recent behavior. And that brings me to my next bit of business – that would be the further investigation of that most horrid of murders, committed upon our blacksmith. Now, Cayman, have you any further information on that occurrence?”

 

“Aye, that I do. After discussing it with potential witnesses, it appears that a couple of the street urchins noted a man, who by their description fits the appearance of this man, Leonardo, was seen entering the blacksmith shop, and leaving some time later, with blood all over him.”

 

“I assume there were no adult witnesses?”

 

“Nay, sire, none.”

 

“Well, we might just have enough to hold him on suspicion, depending on Jeanne’s sources. But for now, be on the lookout for him.”

 

“Aye, m’lord.”

 

“And that brings me to my last issue to discuss with you, and that is that I got a note from Tom, indicating three things. The first is that our Lady Judy did, in fact, have a baby girl, named Angelica. The second thing was that Charlie Stephens did make it there in time to administer medication, which saved her life, and Judy and the babe are doing well at present.

 

“And the third thing is that Master Robert was on his way to Castle Kearney, along with Hermes and Kevin, and they were attacked, Kevin was killed, and Master Robert and Hermes were evidently taken prisoner. We do not know who did this, but I have my suspicions. Now, Tom is going to be going in search for Master Robert and Hermes.”

 

“Master Craycroft,” Marilyn spoke up suddenly, and looking a bit pale, “if it would not be too much trouble, I’d like to go with Fausto, in search of Bob. You see, I am expected by someone, who I believe to be Drachma, to be there for him, as it appears he needs me, in some way.”

 

“Aye, I do understand. For there are definitely forces at work that I do not comprehend. And I do believe that you would be right to search for Master Robert. So, Fausto, I assume that you have no objections to what Marilyn is proposing, and that you are free to take with you any of the Forest Guard you may need.”

 

“Nay, m’lord, I have no objections. And I do believe we should leave on the morrow. And I do know whom I should take wi’ me.”

 

“Well, then,” Craycroft concluded, “we know who our enemy is, and we have the men to fight him. What I do not know is what Drachma and Tom have planned, but I do know that they shall be involved mightily. Now, go with God’s blessing.”

 

As they were leaving, Gregorio came up to Marilyn, and said, “as also an outsider, it is with astonishment that I see Master Craycroft, beginning as the master healer, now turned into the master of men.”

 

“As you say, I am also an outsider – but I have always been that.”

 

As they descended the stairway, they could hear music coming from somewhere, it was harp playing as they never heard before. Marilyn and Gregorio stood transfixed as the music wafted over them.

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment