Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Thursday, November 4, 2021

Center Game, Heir of Drachma, Book Two, Chapter Twenty-seven




This is the chapter which puts the fifteenth century on a collision course with the twentieth century. Hang on tight!




Chapter Twenty-Seven

 

 

 

 

 

Judy had been through what she considered hell. This labor thing was definitely not for sissies. As the contractions had become more frequent, they had seemed to take her energy out of her. She was lying like a wet rag in the middle of the bed just trying to relax, when her labor changed, and she could now feel that her contractions now had some real effect, and she could feel the baby moving down. Along with that she felt a growing sense of purpose, and almost elation. Yes, the pains were still severe, but she seemed to have reached beyond the pains, to a sense that she just wanted to get things done. There was definitely a target to reach!

 

“You may begin pushing now, Judy,” said Diane, as she also noted the change in contractions. “Ye’ll be havin’ a baby quite soon.”

 

Diane had seen many a child born but could not suppress her emotions when it came to this stage of labor. There was a thrill in the air. Alex also caught the thrill and couldn’t keep still. She had never been involved with a delivery, so with this being Judy, and it being her first time, keeping her own excitement down was impossible, and she was in constant motion about the bedroom.

 

Diane told Meara to let the people waiting outside know that Judy was close to delivery and that so far things looked good. They were mostly clustered in one of the dining rooms, with a fairly steady supply of foods being brought out from the kitchen. The atmosphere was one of anticipation and excitement that was tinged with a bit of worry.

 

Inside Judy was concentrating mostly on pushing with each contraction, just trying to get the baby out.

 

“I can see the head,” Diane said. “It shouldn’t be long now, Judy.”

 

Between contractions, Judy just caught her breath, waiting for the next one to come. And come they did, intense, but now tolerable, as the baby was moving down the canal. With one big push, she delivered the head, then a couple of big pushes later, the baby was delivered. 

 

As the baby began to wail, Diane said, with some excitement in her voice, “Oh, Judy it’s a girl, a perfect little girl.”

 

Next, Diane expertly clipped and cut the umbilical cord, wiped off the baby and brought her up to Judy, who looked with astonishment at the girl just handed to her.

 

“May I see?” Alex couldn’t stand it anymore, and Judy showed her to Alex. “Oh, she looks like an angel!”

 

“What are ye goin’ to name her?” asked Diane.

 

“I do believe Alex has named her. We’ll call her Angelica.”

 

“Meara, if ye’d tell the others the good news. And also tell them that I’ll bring her out fer them to see her after a while. Now, Judy, see if ye can nurse the child. And while ye’re doin’ that, I’ll see about yer afterbirth.”

 

As Judy was busy trying to get Angelica to latch on, she noticed that her contractions had all but ceased. She hoped that nursing the baby would be enough to stimulate the release of hormones such that her contractions would start up again, and she could pass the placenta.

 

Angelica, as it turned out, had no problem with latching on or nursing, but still nothing in the way of cramping.

 

“Judy, I shall try to stimulate your womb directly. Just let me know if it hurts too much.” As Diane said this, she began massaging Judy’s lower abdomen. It hurt, but it stimulated no contractions. In the meantime, Judy began to bleed, rather profusely.

 

“Alex, if ye would, could ye ask Chauncey t’ boil more water fer some tea. And then, if ye’ll look in me bag, and find some winterroot berries – they’re small, brown, dried berries. And I shall tell ye how to proceed. For the present time I’ll try more of the massage.”

 

Alex hurried off and went out the door to find Chauncey. She came back within just a few minutes. “He said he’d be delighted to do that, but he also asked if everythin’ was all right, and was there anythin’ else he could do.”

 

“Just t’ have one o’ the men go up to the watchtower and to look out fer Master Charlie Stephens, an’ if they see ‘im t’ bring him here anon.”

 

It was now becoming clear both to Diane and also to Alex that things were not quite right with this delivery after all.

 

 

 

 

Charlie and Tom were now moving quite quickly toward Castle Kearney. Tom’s face was one of grim determination after finding that Kevin had been killed, and Master Robert and Hermes apparently taken captive. He knew, in that deep place within him, that this was an urgent trip. He didn’t understand it, yet he knew that whatever medicine Charlie carried, was somehow critical for Judy. There was something else, though, but he couldn’t quite bring it to consciousness. It was something from this other realm, and it involved Charlie and his decision to be made.

 

Charlie was doing better, just trying to keep going, and trying not to think too hard. The horse’s gait was now a canter, which was actually easier on his bottom. Their way took them through the massive and aromatic forest, and after going downhill briefly, now was a steady incline.

 

Eventually their progress got easier, but their pace remained the same until they crossed a small stream. Here they let their horses get a drink. While all was still, Charlie thought he heard whispering. Even though he could not make out any words, the message was clear – hurry, you are needed.

 

Tom asked if he had any more whispered messages.

 

“Well, yes, but I couldn’t understand any words, but it did carry the message to hurry, that I was needed.”

 

“That is enough for me, then. Let us hurry.”

 

With little less than an hour to go, both could feel the tug of fate. So, their mounts were now galloping along the path, widened by use, toward Castle Kearney. Both riders could feel the wind at their backs, and neither one knew anything about what awaited them.

 

As they rounded the huge stone, and made their turn, Tom said, “there it is – Castle Kearney, up ahead.”

 

The sentinel in the watchtower blew his bugle, indicating the impending arrival of the two riders. As they approached, the massive doors swung open, and the two men entered the courtyard. They came to a stop, where they were met by two men. 

 

“Ho, Master Tom! And Master Charlie – ye be needed inside. Meara can show ye the way. I shall take care of yer mounts.”

 

Tom leaped off his horse, and then assisted Charlie off his mount. But Charlie’s feet were like jello. Tom helped him up on his legs.

 

“Master Tom,” said Meara, “and Master Charlie, do come in. I shall take ye back to the lady’s room. Follow me.”

 

They were led down corridors to the bedrooms. On the way, they were met with the worried stares of multiple people, known to Tom, but strangers to Charlie. No one said anything as they swept by.

 

When they got to Judy’s bedroom, Tom offered to stay outside, as Charlie followed Meara inside. 

 

The inside of Judy’s bedroom was elegance itself. In the bed, however, what he saw was not elegant. Judy was in the middle of the bed, and Diane was at Judy’s right side, again massaging Judy’s uterus. Below Judy was a bloody mess. But then what caught Charlie’s eye was a young girl who looked for all the world to be the image of Amanda, but several years younger. Charlie just stared, open jawed. In her hands she held a baby, wrapped in cloths. 

 

“I’m sorry to intrude, but it seems that you needed this medicine.” He reached into his coat and brought out the plastic bag, which held a syringe and two vials of medicine. “This comes courtesy of Alonza Chaves from the twentieth century.”

 

“Could you come closer? I promise I won’t bite. It’s Charlie Stephens, right, the reporter for Channel Five?”

 

“Yes, that’s me, or was me.”

 

Charlie stepped closer to the bed and handed the plastic bag to Judy, who took the vials out and read, “Oxytocin 10 milligrams per 5 ml. How incredible of Lonnie! How is Lonnie doing, by the way?”

 

“Ah, she is…or was…doing OK.” He couldn’t help it, but his voice cracked as he said this.

 

Diane, in the meantime had stopped trying the uterine massage, and simply stared at the scene in front of her.

 

“All right then,” Judy said, “I’m Judy Morrison. And you’re Charlie Stephens. What you’ve walked into is an obstetrical mess. I have delivered the baby you see in the arms of Alexandra. Things were going well until after I delivered the baby, whose name is Angelica, by the way. But then I started hemorrhaging and I haven’t stopped, and you have come by with medication from Lonnie Chaves, who just happened to pick the absolutely right drug for me.

 

“Now, what I’m going to do is to draw up a syringe full, and then you’re going to inject it into my thigh. Got it? Because if you don’t, then I’m going to die from my bleeding.”

 

“You must know, I’ve never given anyone a shot before.”

 

“Yes, that’s what I assumed. Look, you’ve come this far, and you’re not going to back out now.”

 

“All right, then…”

 

Judy took the syringe out of the bag, and she expertly drew up the medication into the syringe. She then handed Charlie the syringe, along with one of the alcohol wipes which Lonnie had thoughtfully included. Next, she told Charlie how to wipe the area with alcohol, poke into the muscle, to draw back slightly, and then to in inject the vial of medicine, wiping the skin again with the alcohol.

 

Charlie’s hand shook as he took the syringe. He then did as instructed. He breathed a sigh of relief, having held his breath during the injection. He was still shaky, but he felt well enough to ask Judy how she felt.

 

“I feel weak, and tired, but that’s to be expected.” She said this and smiled beneficently at her shaken hero. They waited a few minutes, and then quite abruptly her uterine contractions started up in a big way, and soon thereafter, Judy delivered her placenta, and her bleeding slowed way down.

 

“You know, I probably won’t need the second dose,” she spoke tiredly, “but I’ll be happy that I’ve got it handy, and I’ll know just whom to call. Come here, Charlie,” she said. Then when he got close to her, she took his face in her hands, and kissed his cheek.

 

Charlie blushed. And then he came by to look at the baby, who was still and sleeping peacefully in the arms of Alex.

 

“Beautiful baby, very beautiful.”

 

“Aye, she’s me new baby sister. ‘er name be Angelica. And I named her.”

 

“Oh, you did?”

 

“Aye, she looked just like an angel.”

 

“I can believe that.”

 

Charlie looked over at Judy, but she had fallen asleep. Diane looked back at Charlie, and mouthed the words, “Thank you, sire.”

 

 

 

 

It was later that evening, after Charlie and Tom had eaten and drunk, that they told of Kevin’s murder and Bob’s apparent abduction. This was met with extreme anger. It was decided that Stoneheft and Martin, as friends and compatriots of Kevin, should accompany Tom in the morning, as he set out in search of his other two companions. Charlie would stay for the present at Castle Kearney. Another round was poured, and Charlie was toasted again for his “heroism.”

 

Since Judy was still sleeping, it fell to Tom and Charlie to tell her of Bob’s capture after she woke up. So, after they had finished refreshing themselves, they went back to her room and very quietly knocked on her door. Diane came to the door and opened it slightly.

 

“Is the lady awake?” Tom asked.

 

“Aye, she is. She is nursing her child, but I believe she would like to see ye. And I know that Alex would love to see ye as well.”

 

Tom and Charlie walked quietly into the room. It had been cleaned up and made to look like there had been no drama just a few hours ago. In the bed was Judy, who, other than extreme pallor, looked like the Madonna of a thousand paintings. And feeding contentedly at her breast was a babe of indescribable beauty. Overall, this was a picture to warm the heart of anyone with a heart.

 

“So, it’s Tom and my hero.” Judy said, smiling graciously. “And Tom, I’d like to ask you about the whereabouts of my husband. He was supposed to be here by my side.”

 

“That is what we came to talk to you about,” Tom said, as he noted the smiles rapidly fading. “It would appear that Master Robert and Hermes have been captured. We found that Kevin, who had been traveling with them had been murdered, and we assume that Master Robert and Hermes were taken prisoner.”

 

“Taken prisoner? By whom, and when?”

 

“We do not know with certainty, but it is most likely by Antoine LeGace or someone who works for him. And it would appear to have happened sometime yesterday.” Both Judy and Diane gasped at this. “Right now, I have two of my best men searching for them, and I shall be going to join them tomorrow morning, leaving at first light. Also, I have dispatched this information to Lord Craycroft, via pigeon.”

 

“But Charlie, you’re not going, are you? There is so much I need to find out about you and Lonnie, and besides, who knows, I might still need you.”

 

“No, Judy,” Charlie answered. “I’m not going anywhere real soon as far as I know. And as for Lonnie, there is much to tell. But there is one other reason that I’m not going, for I’ve been told, and this by a reliable source, that Alex has some information for me, and that will impact a decision that I am to make. And, as you know, these decisions which we make hear and now seem to have effects across the gulf of time.”

 

“Well, it does make me feel better that you’re not going anywhere, but I’m so worried about Bob.”

 

“Lady Judy,” spoke up Alex. “Your Master Robert is safe. I can tell ye that with certainty. He has Hermes with him.”

 

All looked in the direction of Alex.

 

Then Judy said, “I do believe her – she speaks the truth. But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s not here. Yet Alex seems to be in touch with truth, and I must believe her.”

 

“Aye, that I am,” Alex said, without any pretense.

 

“Sounds a lot like someone I knew back home.”

 

“Do you mean Amanda?”

 

“Why, yes…” Charlie looked astonished.

 

All eyes were again on Alex, who took Charlie’s hand and led him out of the room.

 

 

 

 

Where Alex took Charlie was to her own room. 

 

“This is my room here. Isn’t it nice?”

 

“Very nice, indeed. Do you have anything like this back home?”

 

“No, na’ really. I have to share a room with me brother, Rupert. And it is much smaller.”

 

“And where is home for you?”

 

“It be a long way from here – in Champour.”

 

“Tell me, do you miss your home, and your family?”

 

“Sometimes, but I was sent along to speak for Diego, the sailor. It’s cause I can understand ‘im. I’ll have ye meet ‘im later.”

 

 “Yes, I heard something about him, like he’s some kind of prince or something…”

 

“Maybe, but he’s too nice t’ really be a prince.”

 

“Anyway, tell me about Amanda – for she is someone whom I got to care about back home – and here you are – the spittin’ image of Amanda, just younger. And you tell me that you know her. How can that be?”

 

“Well, jus’ sit down, here, an’ I’ll tell ye about Amanda, about truth an’ things you prob’ly know, or think you do. An’ then I’ll tell you bout what Amanda tol’ me – an’ it be bout somethin’ an someone that matters to ye.”

 

Charlie did sit down, and took out his notebook and pen, and asked, “Would you mind if I just took some of this down, and wrote in my notebook, to remember the details later?”

 

“Nay, I wouldna’ mind. But I’ll tell ye this – ye’ll na’ ferget any o’ what I be tellin’ ye.” She said this in all seriousness, however, it made Charlie smile in a way that he had not in a while. Here was a six-year-old girl, in another time and place, about to lecture him about truth. Should be interesting.

 

“Let me start by tellin’ ye bout Amanda. As ye know, she was a ten-year-old girl, who was an orphan. And she got leukemia four years ago.”

 

“Now, wait a minute. What would a six-year-old in the fifteenth century know about leukemia?”

 

It was now Alex who smiled. “I tol’ ye that ye’d not be fergettin’ what I tell ye. Anyway, bout four years ago, or so me mum says, I took ill an’ nearly died. An’ me mum took me to see an alchemist called Falma.”

 

Charlie swallowed hard, at this. “Did you say Falma?”

 

“Aye, an’ he knew me father, grandfather an’ me great grandfather. An’ then he looked at me, and tol’ me mum, that fer the sake o’ me great grandfather that I must live. That I had a certain spark in me. An’ so he took me to meet someone named Drachma, an’ together they sent my leukemia to another little orphan girl in another time an’ place. An’ that other little girl was Amanda.”

 

“Just wow! I’ve met this fellow named Falma, but I haven’t really met this person named Drachma.”

 

“Ye will. That much I do know.”

 

Charlie suddenly remembered what Tom had said, about his own relationship with Josh, and compared it to Amanda and Alexandra. Just wow!

 

“An’ so, it now comes down to ye. An’ jus’ what yer role shall be. As I said, Amanda came t’ me in a dream, an’ said that she was dyin’. But she wanted me t’ keep her power of knowin’ the truth, an’ t’ be able t’ share it when it became needed. An’ she talked of ye, an’ how ye’d become like Master Robert, Lady Judy and Lady Marilyn. An’ she also talked of Lonnie, an’ how the two of ye had so rapidly come t’ depend on each other. Then she also tol’ me just how much Lonnie loved ye, an’ how ye’d have t’ make a decision.”

 

“And what decision would that be?”

 

“That when it came t’ goin’ back, only one o’ ye can go back. It’ll either be ye or Lady Marilyn that can go back – not both o’ ye.”

 

“And it’s me who’s got to make that decision?”

 

“When will I have to make this decision?”

 

“Oh, ye’ll know, Master Charlie, ye’ll know.”

 

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment