Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Sunday, May 5, 2013

Forces of nature

What happens when you're "supposed to be writing," and the forces of nature collide over your own little piece of the universe?

Well, one of those forces of nature is just 3 1/2 years old, and can melt my heart without even trying. And she is with us for another couple of days. She is our own grandchild, Millie. And it seems that going outside, throwing rocks into the pond, and noticing the ducks and turtles, and the neighbors' dogs just seems so much more important than sitting down at the old computer. And she is truly a force of nature, as surely as an earthquake or a tornado.

And then there is the world of medicine, in which I've been on call an inordinate number of days and weekends. And dealing with patients and their incredible life altering problems, some of whom are facing death from the ravages of disease, others are just too frail and elderly, while others are beset with illness that will alter their lives and their work so thoroughly - all these weigh down upon me as well.

Add to that mixture the fact that I am in the process of renegotiating my contract with my employer (or rather, I am negotiating with an unseen force that controls my employer), who does not understand the realities of my practice. And I have to decide whether it is worth it to stay, or to move closer to my grandkids (4 of the 6 of them live in Northwest Arkansas). Dealing with the "head hunters" can be just as much fun as dealing with lawyers and used car salespeople.

It is a true blessing that I have the wife that I do. Sara, who is so thoroughly enjoying being a Nana to her grandkids, has been a real trouper through all this. Her own opinion is that, since I am the breadwinner, whatever decision I make has to be my own, and she is there for me and beside me.

Well, then, what has this to do with writing? Actually, it has little to do with writing. And I'm happy to say that I'm still writing. The computer and I still have our little thing going, and it's still going to happen, this sequel which I have started. In fact, it would seem that all those forces can't really touch what is in my head, and which spews forth as written dialogue and action. Hmm...

It would appear that Shepperton is calling me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment