Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Monday, October 10, 2022

Now in Chapter Seven, we are setting up for more adventures to come.



 Chapter Seven

 

 

Bob now just sat and stared at nothing in particular. He was again feeling overwhelmed, as he tried to take the pulse of his current situation.

 

“M’lord,” said Hermes, his companion and fellow prisoner, “’twould seem t’ me that ye’re just now thinkin’ about our situation, an’ how it be that ye’re not where ye ought t’ be, nor doin’ what ye should be doin’.”

 

“Oh, Hermes, that’s true indeed. It seems to me that, ever since we were packed up and sent on this mission into the interior, forces of which I have no knowledge or control have been at work to keep me from doing and being what I am. I mean, if you consider just a week ago, we were in the castle, going about our business of healing, teaching and doing research. And my wife was pregnant with our unexpected child. And then what happened? After being taken prisoner by the Italian count, Eustace suddenly has a seizure, and, in search of proper water, you, Kevin and I get whisked off to Killiburn, as prisoners again. And on the way, we see Maggie, who appears in the hut in Clannach, and her presence is some kind of warning.

 

“Then we got rescued, and as we’re headed toward Castle Kearney, where Judy is, along with the others, who do I see, but Marilyn? I was just figuring all this out, when we get ambushed again, and this time Kevin is murdered, and we are taken prisoner again. Anyway, here we are, wherever here is. I’m just sitting down wondering what’s next on this journey, across time and across space, and I’m about out of patience, and I’m just about ready to take matters into my own hands.”

 

A tingle of excitement went through Hermes, as he was a bit startled to hear to hear Bob talk this way. “Master Robert,” he said breathlessly, as he checked for his short sword, then quickly realized it had been taken from him, “whate’er ye decide t’ do, ye know I shall be there fer ye. Fer I’m sworn t’ be yer protector.”

 

“I know, and I thank you for that, Hermes. You know what I’ve been thinking about? The water that the count had been drinking – he and his men; it had come from the creek of the dead, and you know what that could mean?”

 

“It could mean that he an’ his men might be facin’ illness, eh?”

 

“Exactly! And I have no way of either contacting them or diagnosing them.”

 

“Now, is that somethin’ ye’d do fer yer enemies?”

 

“Yeah, it’s something I’d do for anyone, friend or enemy. You see, Hermes, when you become a physician, your allegiance goes beyond any labels people might put on others. Your true allegiance is to the human race, and to individual human beings.”

 

“I had no idea… D’ye mean even Master LeGace an’ his men?”

 

“Yes, even Antoine LeGace.”

 

“E’en though ye might be able to diagnose ‘em, as ye say, there’s nothin’ that ye could really do for ‘em, is there?”s

 

“Ah, Hermes, you’ve touched on a most interesting irony there. For you see, back home at the castle, Melchior has come up with a substance, derived from our common red seaweed, which kills bacteria. Do you realize just what a magnificent thing that could be? And here I am, a prisoner, stuck in this spot, unable to communicate with Melchior, when we could be making some real history back in our institute. The idea of making the first working antibiotic years before bacteria were even described – that would really be something!”

 

 

 

 

 

Kerlin had called a meeting of those he considered vital to the quest. Together with him in the barracks of the castle were Cayman, Gregorio, Derrymoor and Proust. Kerlin was nervous, though only Cayman could tell. It was just a subtle gruffness in his voice, that along with a bit of moisture around his upper lip that gave him away. Though none could tell, he kept them all entranced with his careful explanation of what was to happen.

 

“My friends,” he said, after carefully reexplaining the plan that he and Craycroft had made. “Tom is on his way to his destination. He should be there by early evening. And I do believe that Master LeGace would most likely want to keep Master Robert and Hermes alive, for if dead, then what would his bargaining position be?

 

“But on the other hand, if I were to be killed, that would merely enhance his own position, especially since he does have older issues with me. So, what I am saying is your position and your own knowledge are even more important to Craycroft. Do you have any questions thus far?”

 

Gregorio spoke up, saying, “are you saying, Master Kerlin, that you are willing to become the bait for Lord Craycroft?”

 

“Oh, aye, that I am, though you must realize that I have taken other risks, perhaps even greater. You see, Craycoft and you all are aware of the risks I take with this endeavor.”

 

“I do understand, Master Kerlin, but it would seem to me that both you and Lord Craycroft are taking unnecessary risks, no?”

 

“And do you propose any other way to handle our adversary?”

 

In answer, Gregorio said, “since I am not known to this man, LeGace, and neither are my men, then we could be of particular assistance in your defense, rather than merely onlookers.”

 

“An excellent point, sir. And so, what is your proposal?”

 

He then took advantage of the table they were sitting about, as well as some of the foodstuff scattered around, expertly moving the pieces about the table, and explained to the others just how he could place himself and his men, around the Reordan house, and just how to signal his men as to the happenings within.

 

“Very well, I shall present your plan to lord Craycroft after we leave this place. Now, does anyone else have questions?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment