Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Monday, March 7, 2022

Shepperton's Sacrifice, Heir of Drachma, Book Three

Here is the second chapter of my three part novel (book three). If you would like, I can print a list of characters in the Heir of Drachma series - if you think it might help. Anyway, we go back to Tom and Drachma at home in Drachma's place, and it sets the stage for things to happen in this newest book. Enjoy!





 Chapter Two

 

 

 

 

 

Drachma looked across the room at his grandson, Tom, and knew he had made the right decisions. In place of the gangly, somewhat awkward youth he had known, strode a confident, slender, dark-haired young man who gave off the aura of assurance bought by grueling private trials. His hair was damp, as was his overcoat, as he stepped into the hallway.

 

“Ah, Drachma of the Island, it is so good to see you! Tell me, do you bring any news of Master Robert? Also, what of their daughter? Is she everything her mother could have wanted?”

 

“So, Grandfather, even before I have the chance to take off my cloak and get settled, you have begun the interrogation,” he said with a smile.

 

“Well, just toss your cloak over the chair, and come, give me a hug, then, young man.”

 

Tom did just that, with gusto. Then he poured himself some of Drachma’s wine and settled into a soft leather chair, next to his grandfather.

 

“I shall begin, then with good news. Aye, Judy did deliver a most beautiful daughter, and they have named her Angelica.”

 

“Angelica, eh?” Drachma paused, then restarted with difficulty. “So… it would seem… that she, too, is marked for greatness.” He could imagine his old caregiver smiling down at him.

 

“Aye, it was to be either Maggie or Angelica. I am quite certain that either name would have pleased you. It seems they didn’t even consider boys’ names.” Tom looked over at Drachma, who remained speechless. “It was Alexandra, Cartho’s great granddaughter, who did name her.”

 

“Indeed,” said Drachma, when he could find his voice. “I did know that she was one of those sent. What can you tell me about her?”

 

“I was going to ask you the same question, grandfather, for it seems that this one was marked four years ago, by you and Falma, for your special brand of greatness. Is that not right?”

 

“Aye. And let me tell you about that. She became quite ill as a very young girl and was brought to Falma. She was very pale, had a fever, had bruises upon her body, but not from injuries. It seems that no one else in her family had any similar illness. As was usual, when he had something this troublesome which he could not understand, he called me to see if I had any insights. I understood that this young child was the great granddaughter of Cartho and had an illness for which I also had no explanation. I took one look at the two-year old, and then asked him if he thought it worth doing what we had done for you in infancy, and that the window of time was now open.

 

“And so, with her mother’s permission, we took the child to the alchemist’s place, and proceeded to find an orphan girl of about the same age at the other end of the window of time and carried out the exchange, with the imparting of knowledge that the two young girls would receive before their own time. And now, I found out that Amanda’s illness was incompletely understood by physicians of her time, and that it came back again, and this time it was incurable. But I also understand now that she was in touch somehow with Alexandra, and upon dying, she sent a gift to Alexandra, the nature of which I have yet to learn.”

 

“Aye. She did. And, interestingly, Craycroft also did notice the mark of greatness on this young child, and I believe that he would like to take on responsibility for Alexandra’s education. He told me of her when I saw him. But it would seem that there were parallels with my own experience, Grandfather.”

 

“I knew there were.”

 

“Aye, but in my time, it was Janie, Joshua’s mother, who granted me the powers.”

 

“She, who was Joshua’s voice…”

 

“Aye, but the parallels are otherwise striking. For if you consider that Joshua’s treatment was only partially successful in his brief lifetime, and that Janie, as his caregiver and recipient of the Derrymoor estate broach, did but yield that power and that symbol at the time of her own death.”

 

“And do you think that she was aware of its power? And do tell me that you have seen this broach with your own eyes, in the hands of its present owner.”

 

“Aye. That I have. It is presently with Master Charlie Stephens, and I believe that neither he nor Janie had any true knowledge of its power. And neither do I feel that the earl of Derrymoor has any notion of its potency.” 

 

“And the drachma – it is also safe, and out of the hands of Master LeGace?”

 

“I believe you know the answer to that question. I do understand the drachma is now in the hands of Alonza Chavez, who presently serves the purpose Judy Morrison served years ago.”

 

“Aye. She is our link to their time, with Charlie Stephens now holding place here.”

 

“That is true, though he has no knowledge of his true purpose here. He does know that he has a major decision to make, yet he does not understand all its consequences. Amanda, by way of Alexandra has told him that much.”

 

“And we may not interfere in that process – that I do know you understand.” Drachma leaned forward, and in a voice hushed but forceful said, “as Master Robert did not understand that his decision would have consequences which would reverberate through the corridors of time.”

 

“And that does bring me to the matter of Master Robert. It seems he has been taken, apparently by forces of Guarneri and Patronis. I understand that he is being held prisoner for much the same reason as Melchior.”

 

“Do we know where he is being held?”

 

“Aye. He and Hermes are in Clear Bay…”

 

“At the barracks, no doubt.”

 

“Aye. Certainly, a foolish place to hold anyone prisoner. And Stefano will make certain that no harm comes to either of the prisoners. But I did think it wise to see just what Guarneri has in mind, before springing them loose.”

 

“Agreed. But watch Guarneri closely. I have known him a long time and have never found him to be in any way trustworthy. He will say one thing and do the opposite, without any thought of consequences. If you will remember his disappearance four years ago. And then, it was only Craycroft’s sense of justice and mercy which saved the man upon his return. Yet, I can perceive Craycroft’s reasoning. For he does provide us an avenue to study LeGace’s plans and moves.”

 

“Let me ask you, Grandfather, what do you know of the king’s plans in all of this? It would seem to me to be a matter too trivial for the king to bother with, yet his presence in our affairs could certainly make things thorny. I do not have direct knowledge, yet I do hear that the king might be sending an emissary up our way.”

 

“I too have no definite knowledge, but there are certainly rumors of Henry’s involvement. At least to make certain that his flow of Shepperton pots is not interrupted. Yet, Guarneri and Patronis might have the means of bending his ear toward Shepperton, and that would be a complication we do not need at this time.” 

 

Tom sat back, sipped his wine, and looked up at the ceiling for a time. “Oh, how I miss Falma. His advice was of such forceful eloquence.”

 

Forceful eloquence, the words stung Drachma. This was not the musing of youth.

 

“Let me tell you, my Drachma of the Island, I, too, miss Falma, though I do believe I shall be joining him again soon. And that does give me peace – that, and my finding in you someone who has now grown into the role superbly. But Falma and I have grown together through the years, as it was not without mighty trials that both of us endured. I am able, with some certainty, to say that he also saw in you that magnificent promise being fulfilled.

 

“And I do know,” Drachma continued, “that you and Falma did work together to get Lady Marilyn across the chasm. What are you able to tell me about her? And do you know what she brings to us that makes her unique?”

 

“Ah, Marilyn. She is truly a treasure. But presently under wraps, I would say. Tell me, what do you remember of her?”

 

“As you know, I was with her only briefly, as she was the one who lost her husband – it was mainly in that setting that I had opportunity to see her, and to indirectly present her with the drachma, and with words of encouragement, to indicate that it was her Robert that was well and in our world.”

 

“And thus it was, until our more recent foray into their world, in which Marilyn’s drachma was lost, then she came to our world, only to find her Robert was in some peril. And the drachma was now left in the hands of someone else.”

 

At this, Drachma smiled slightly, took a sip of his wine and, looking up at the ceiling, said softly, “I can see Falma’s hand in all of this.”

 

“Aye. I also feel his presence in this affair, as I also feel certain that he knew what he was doing in picking out Marilyn, as he knew she had that certain level of greatness required, if you will, for what he had in mind.”

 

“And what would that be, oh Drachma of the Island?”

 

“Simply put, she is to be our unknown and unconquerable force, in our battle yet to come with Master LeGace.”

 

“Said with much prescience, my grandson.”

 

For a while, they both sat in silence. Then Drachma said, “Now, Tom, give me your hand, and come with me. There is something I must show you.”

 

Tom came over to Drachma and helped him to get up. 

 

“Thank you. Now come with me.” Drachma took Tom down a little used hallway, toward the back of the manor house, and into a small room to the right. Inside the room, which was filled with numerous books, charts and maps, toward the back wall was an even smaller door. Drachma took the torch from the wall and opened the small door. “My hideaway – in here.”

 

What was on the other side of the door was an enclave with two chairs, a desk with quills, ink and some scattered papers. Drachma put the torch on the hanger on the near wall. He then went over to the desk, took the candle, which was in its holder, and after lighting the candle went back to the desk. He sat down in one of the chairs, as he bade Tom to sit in the other. He then rifled through the papers, pulled out one and handed it to Tom.

 

Tom studied the paper, then with widening eyes said to Drachma, “Is this what I perceive it to be?”

 

“Aye, it is. And you shall have to speak with Chauncey about the other half.”

 

“Grandfather, this has the power to turn all of our fortunes…”

 

“Why do you suppose I have kept it packed away here all this time?”

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment