Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Sunday, August 29, 2021

Center Game, Heir of Drachma, Book Two, Chapter Twenty-Five

Now, here in Chapter Twenty-Five we have a number of instances of evil vs good battling it out, for the soul of Shepperton...





Chapter Twenty-Five

 

 

 

Bob, Hermes and Kevin were riding toward Castle Kearney, but they had taken the long way around, due to their avoidance of the band of soldiers. Their route took them right by Lough Teagle. Though Bob had heard much about Lough Teagle and Croftus Knob, he had never been this close, and he was astonished at the beauty around him. It was a place of icy calm and forbidding elegance.

 

“So, this is the famous Lough Teagle, eh? You know, In my four years in this place, I’ve never been up here. It’s an incredibly beautiful place. And it’s also the source of the Creek of the Dead, as I understand.”

 

“Master Robert, it be a first time fer me, also,” Hermes ventured to say. “I have ne’er been – and you are so right, it is a place of astonishing beauty. Now, Kevin, I am quite certain that ye’ve been here afore.”

 

“Aye, I have been here many times through the years. And I would be happy to show you about, Master Robert, for this is said to be the source of Shepperton’s wealth and fame, as well as the Creek o’ the Dead. Now, I feel obliged to tell ye that we’re a bit delayed by that band o’ men back yonder, and I wouldn’t be able to make up the time to Castle Kearney. Are ye still wantin’ me to show ye around the place?”

 

“Yes, I would, Kevin. For I don’t really know how often I’ll be back here. And with all the stuff of legend that this place has, I think that I’d like to see it.”

 

As it happened, Kevin showed them the place where Shepperton clay was mined, as well as the place where, at the base of the mine, the Creek of the Dead began. 

 

Ironic, thought Bob. It appears as though this clay, which represents health and wealth would be so intimately related to the origin of water which carried disease and death in its path. As he looked down the path of the creek, he could see how its banks became devoid of life, the farther it went down into the valley.

 

By the time Bob was even aware of anything amiss, it was too late. Kevin had already been pierced by several arrows from the archers hidden in the trees. Hermes had been overcome, and was on the ground, and was being tied up with strong rope. 

 

A small, wiry man with a long scar across his face came up to Bob and said, “Now ye’ll not try t’ run, as I’ve got archers in the forest what’ll cut ye down.” His voice was like some creaky instrument, but his intent was certain.

 

From the woods to his right walked a tall man, dressed in brown, with his sword drawn. The man looked familiar to Bob, but he couldn’t place him. “Now, ye’ll come wi’ us, and I expect ye t’ be as compliant as a schoolboy. And I don’t expect ye t’ have any more magic at yer disposal.”

 

I thought I’d recognized him, but with his speech, I know it’s Sean, from Killiburn.

 

“So, Sean, who is it you’re working for these days?” Bob asked.

 

“Oh, I expect ye’ll find out soon enough.” That was all he said or would say for hours.

 

It was several hours later that Bob, Hermes and their captors came to a village Bob did not recognize. He considered it fortunate that this time, he and Hermes were allowed to ride their mounts, and that he had not been tied up. At last they came to a small, guarded hut at the edge of the village. The night was dark, and they were taken by a rather circuitous route. Bob couldn’t even tell if the village was near the shore of the island. The two prisoners were let off their mounts and brought into the hut. Hermes was untied inside the hut, and they were made to sit down on a couple of chairs.

 

“All right,” said Bob, “now that you have us here, wherever here is, and you can tell that we are not about to risk life and limb to escape. I do think it would be nice if you told us whom you are working for.”

 

“If it be anythin’ t’ ye, we work fer Masters Guarneri and Patronis.” Sean answered at last. “We have been told to keep ye safe and fed, and t’ keep ye here.”

 

“I see,” Bob said aloud, then said to himself. So, that’s the way things are! It should be interesting to meet those two, and to see if I’m right about things.

 

As Sean went to the larder to get his new prisoners something to eat, Bob turned to Hermes, and said quietly, “So, Hermes, here we are, prisoners again. This time, a prisoner to one I do remember from before, and, I suspect we are his intellectual property.”

 

“Intellectual property, I’m afraid I do not understand.”

 

“I’ll explain when we can freely talk.”

 

“Very well, Master Robert. But I keep thinkin’ ‘bout poor Kevin.”

 

“Me, too. But I am also thinking about Judy, and how she’s getting along.” And quite suddenly his thoughts of Judy began to overwhelm his senses, and he hid his head in his hands.

 

When Sean came back, he handed Hemes some dried meat, some cheese and bread. He stood and stared at Bob, still with his head in his hands.

 

“It’s Kevin, he was a close friend.” Hermes stated. “That was until yer archers took him out up there.”

 

“That was Kevin? I didna’ know. Anyway ‘twas part o’ me job.” Sean just left Bob’s meal on the table and left the two prisoners in the hut, as he locked the door from outside.

 

Eventually, Bob summoned from deep inside himself, a semblance of awareness. Hermes had never seen him quite like this. This was not the self-assured, calm, collected man he had come to know over the past four years. Here was a man shaken to the core.

 

“I’m so sorry, Hermes. But this has just gotten to me. You’ve got to realize that a bit over four years ago, I was a successful cardiologist (that’s a doctor of hearts). I was married, and my practice was too busy, but satisfying. And then, out of the blue, I started getting messages from Drachma that I was needed elsewhere. And it wasn’t just one message – he kept after me until I succumbed. And so, I arrived on Shepperton, but on the other side of the isle. I was initially a prisoner and guess who my jailer was – it was none other than Sean. Eventually, I was brought across the island by none other than Kevin - and others.

 

“After I was brought across the island, I was met by Craycroft, and also by you, and my world was turned on its end. Suddenly I had purpose and drive. Then Judy entered my world, and we worked to discover the cause of a couple of mysterious illnesses, and also to rid you of human pestilence in the form of Councilor Reordan and Antoine LeGace. Also, somehow, I was able to send the earl to my own time and place, where he was cured of his pneumonia. And for four years, I had purpose and a vision. I had Judy at my side, as well as Craycroft, Falma, Drachma, Melchior, Tom, Jeanne and Rust. And I had students to teach – and for four years my life had the purpose which Drachma had promised.

 

“And now, quite abruptly, my world has again been turned on its side. Antoine LeGace is back in the picture, and we have been sent into the interior of the island, presumably for safekeeping. But on the way we have been captured, made prisoners (now twice). Count Gregorio has appeared. Judy is elsewhere, and is expecting our baby any time, and I can’t be there. Melchior, I understand, has been taken captive as well. Marilyn, my wife from my former time and place, is now here, somewhere. It is my guess that I’ve still got you, to keep me alive, as well as sane.”

 

Hermes looked at Bob with a wry smile, and said, “It is no surprise to me, Master Robert, that I may now be able to do that. For I was told long ago that I would need to protect ye. But I do truly miss Kevin…”

 

“Oh, I do too. But let us not try anything foolish.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Craycroft and Derrymoor waited in Craycroft’s sitting room. Cayman had gone off in search of Tierney and said that he’d see if Kerlin might be persuaded to join him on this quest. 

 

“Well, my friend,” said Derrymoor, “it seems as though your needs are many. What would you like to provide, given that we know not where nor how our enemy plans to strike?”

 

“Indeed, my needs are multiple, and I am certainly grateful to you for support. What I propose to do is to go over with you what has happened since Master LeGace has again made his presence known and felt among us. And then, I believe we can properly devise a plan of combatting this fiend and his minions.”

 

“Good idea. Now, what can you tell me of your first knowledge that he had come back?”

 

“What I can tell you is that his reappearance coincided with the appearance of prince Diego Monteverde showing up on our shore, with the loss of his ship and crew, and inability to talk. Now, I do not believe in coincidence, yet we have not been able to ascertain his actual reasons for coming toward our shores, but the very mention of LeGace’s name does send shivers of recognition through the prince. Also, it would also seem coincidental that it was Cartho’s great-granddaughter, Alexandra, who rescued the prince, and it is she alone who can communicate with him.

 

“And so it was that I sent a group to the interior of the island, which included Robert and Lady Judy, along with Cayman’s wife, Diane, as a midwife to Lady Judy. Accompanying them were Robert’s attendant Hermes, and Eustace, as I am sure you heard. Also, along with these were Diego Monteverde, Alexandra, a fellow named Chauncey, Kevin and others of my guard.”

 

“Interesting choices, I must say, Craycroft! It would seem that I must meet with these adventurous souls at some time, eh?”

 

“Indeed, and I think it should actually be soon, my friend. But I should tell you that shortly after I had sent this assemblage off toward the interior of the island, and sent originally toward Drachma’s abode, that our Master LeGace struck at us, in a pair of midnight raids, which accomplished the following. Firstly, Master Robert’s home was torched, and his papers taken, and his servant, Clarice, whom you met in Sick Bay, was badly injured. And second, our most gifted Melchior was taken prisoner, along with a young girl named Lisa. And you have seen the note which he sent.”

 

“Aye, that I have.”

 

“And we have tried a raid to free them, but LeGace managed to whisk them away (we think to one of his ships).”

 

“And just how many of these ships does he have?”

 

“My sources suggest that he has three.”

 

“So, he could have one hundred or more men at his disposal, which, based upon his prior history, would be an appropriate way of saying that.”

 

“Agreed! But to continue, I should note that three additional things have occurred with regard to the persons sent to the interior. The first is that the original group was taken captive by the Italian Count Gregorio. However, they were rescued by the forest guard, and most have been taken, not to Drachma’s place, but rather to Castle Kearney. Count Gregorio, and a number of his men have subsequently been captured and are on their way here. Secondly, Master Robert, along with his protector and one of our guard, Kevin, are presumably on their way to Castle Kearney. And thirdly, Guarneri and Patronis are running about, presumably working for LeGace, but knowing Guarneri, I suspect that he is working for himself, possibly through king Henry, and I know not just what he is up to.

 

“And then, this Master Charles has appeared in our midst, thanks to Tom. What we are to do with his presence…”

 

A page appeared at the door to the room and knocked.

 

“Aye, what is it, page? Is it Cayman?”

 

“Apologies, m’lord, but Master Kerlin and Cayman request yer presence anon.” The page was pale, breathing heavily, and looked quite ill.

 

Derrymoor looked at Craycroft with alarm. Craycroft’s worried visage turned toward the page, as he said, “We are on our way. Methinks this cannot be anything good. Come, page, lead the way!”

 

The page took them down the stairs, out into the great courtyard, and then out of the castle, and into the village. He took them through the narrow streets to Tierney’s where a crowd had gathered. As they moved through the crowd, and the people began to notice who was now among them, the crowd quickly made room for their liege lord and for the earl of Derrymoor to pass through. As they got through his front door, what awaited them was not immediately obvious. Kerlin and Cayman were both there, bending over something on the floor.

 

Kerlin noticed their arrival, and wordlessly waved them to come close. There, on the floor, on the other side of the counter was Tierney, lying in a large puddle of blood. A knife protruded from his chest, and there were multiple stab wounds beneath the obviously fatal one to the left of the sternum.

 

“What happened here?” asked Craycroft, “and when?”

 

“M’lords,” answered Kerlin, “we know not, other than to note that whoever did this has been gone a while. His blood has turned a darker shade and is not flowing anymore. Besides that, whoever did this also wrote in Tierney’s own blood, which has dried, come see.” He indicated a place on the back of the counter, where someone had rather crudely written:

 

                               CRAYCROFT – YOUR MOVE 

 

 

 

 

 

Jeanne was at Barncuddy’s with the plan to meet with Gracie, to determine the name and doings of the stranger she had seen at the inn that morning. She had dispatched Tingley and Mortimer to have a talk with the two Scotsmen, and to try to get some more of their stories. 

 

She had just settled down, with a pint of ale, when she saw the young woman arrive. She dropped off her bag of onions, along with a large bunch of carrots in the kitchen and was then shown back to where Jeanne waited for her. The young girl curtsied as Jeanne got up and took her hand and then had her sit opposite. Jeanne looked about to make certain there was no one sitting within earshot of the two of them.

 

“Now, Gracie, my name is Jeanne, and I just needed to ask you a few questions. I hope you don’t mind.”

 

“Oh, n… no m’lady. I do know who ye be, and that ye be married t’ the alchemist, Master Melchior.” Her voice quavered slightly, as she was not used to speaking to ladies of the upper class. “What be it that ye wish t’ speak t’ me about?”

 

Jeanne looked over at the younger woman, and noticed her dress was dirty and torn, and her hair was brown and stringy. Her hands were rough and dirty. A surge of empathy shot through Jeanne as she realized that, in all probability this woman likely had a couple of children at home, and more than likely had no husband, and she did what she could to sustain herself and her children. Suddenly Jeanne got up and went toward the kitchen. 

 

“Just stay there,” she said, “I shall be right back.”

 

She came back to the table with bread, cheese and a flagon of ale. She set down the dishes before Gracie, and said, “Here ye be. Enjoy this little repast while I ask ye about a man that I’ve seen about.”

 

The young woman was so astonished that she couldn’t at first eat. “Oh, m’lady this is too much, an’ I’ve got nothin’ t’ pay fer it with.”

 

Jeanne reached across the table and took Gracie’s hand and said, “Now don’t ye be worryin’ about that. Your meal has been paid for. Now just enjoy it for the moment.”

 

Jeanne watched the other woman as she ate and drank with relish, as though this was more and better than she had eaten in weeks. After a while, Jeanne asked her what she knew about the man who had been in Barncuddy’s that morning, sitting by the window.

With the aid of her food and drink, Gracie was able to tell Jeanne quite a bit about the man, named Leonardo, who had taken a shine toward Gracie. He had apparently been in the village, wandering down one of the back streets, when she noticed him. They struck up a conversation, and as he was a handsome man, and Gracie had no husband, one thing led to another, and fairly soon he was spending time with Gracie in the evenings. He never paid her much at all, but he was good company, and he did like to talk.

 

She found out that he was an associate of a certain Master LeGace, who it turns out had plans to overthrow Lord Craycroft. She also found out that he had been part of the group who kidnapped Melchior.

 

At this realization, Jeanne suddenly choked on her ale. “You said you knew that he is my husband…”

 

“Aye, m’lady, an’ I know what LeGace did was evil indeed. And I also know that what he be plannin’ is also evil, but until today, I didna’ have anyone t’ talk to ‘bout any o’ this.”

 

Jeanne looked again at the young woman across the table from her, and suddenly realized what she could mean to Craycroft, Kerlin, Derrymoor and Tom. She took her money bag from her waist, and took out three coins, sliding them across the table.

 

“Now, Gracie, I have a proposition for you, and I shall be frank with you. And I expect you to be equally frank with me. Here is money enough for you, and your little one at home…”

 

“But I never said anythin’ about a little one…”

 

“But you do have one or more little ones, do you not?”

 

“Aye. That I do.”

 

“Well, then consider this a contribution toward their welfare, as well as yours.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment