Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Sunday, February 21, 2021

Center Game, Heir of Drachma, Book Two, Chapter Eighteen

This is one of the turning points of the story. Charlie Stephens is in for the ride of his life!





Chapter Eighteen

 

 

 

 

Charlie arriving at the inn, carrying the youth, made quite a scene. The patrons of the inn had never seen anyone who looked like Charlie, and when he opened his mouth it was instantly apparent that he was a stranger. The innkeeper and his maid instantly made the youth a place to lie down by the front window. Charlie then sat down in a chair next to the boy’s head. The smell of the burned youth and his clothes arose from his body and permeated the small inn.

 

“Look, I’m so sorry to bring you this poor kid, but he told me, before he passed out, that this would be the place to take him. Has anyone seen a girl named Maggie anywhere around these parts?”

 

His speech sounded so foreign, and his words were only partly understandable.

 

“Maggie? Nay, we d’na know the lass. Is she yer daughter or yer maid?” The innkeeper asked. “Might I ask wha’ happened t’ the lad? And where ye be acomin’ from?”

 

“Let’s just say that I’m from a long way away.” Charlie thought about telling them more, and then thought better of it. “Let’s just leave it at that for now. Now, as I was walking down from the mountain, and came to the sea, I saw this shed burning. And from the entrance, I came upon this boy, who was obviously burned and injured, and I got him out of the burning building, and then I brought him here. I don’t know who he is, but he did mention that he had seen some girl named Maggie – and no, I don’t really know her – and she told him that this was where to come. And so this was where I brought him. Does anyone know him?”

 

The maid answered him, “He’s one o’ the lads what live ‘round here, though nobody knows where. He goes by the name o’ Wheezer. That’s all I know. But I do know as he does eat some o’ the scraps from here. Now what do we do wi’ ‘im?”

 

“Is there any place we could get him some medical attention?”

 

“The only place ‘round here be the castle o’er yonder.” The innkeeper pointed with his hand. “But I know not whether they can do ought fer ‘im, nor if they’ll e’en see ‘im. As Chrissy was sayin’, he’s one o’ the urchins, an’ has no one to speak fer ‘im.”

 

“Well, it would appear that he does now,” said Charlie, “as I’ve stumbled upon him. If we could figure some way to get him to the castle, maybe I could prevail upon the powers that be to aid in his survival.” Charlie said this without any conviction. But he knew it felt right. He felt in his coat pocket, and the pendant was still in its place.

 

The people at the inn had managed to procure the services of a wagon, and quickly got the stricken youth into the wagon, along with Charlie. The driver of the wagon was named Ezekiel and appeared to Charlie to be very old. But he was small, wiry, and moved with the ease of a much younger man.

 

“Well, the castle is up yonder,” he said, indicating a vague direction with his shoulder, “an’ I expect it’ll be about an hour afore we’ll be there. Ye can keep the laddie as comf’t’ble as ye may. Now here’s some water fer the young thing. I expect, he’ll be aneedin’ some.”

 

Charlie took the jug of water and held it to the lips of the youth. As he did so, he noted a strange odor, a peculiar sweet odor. The youth had regained just enough consciousness to take some water. He choked, but did keep down the small drink, and then accepted some more. The cart was lurching up the muddy street, and then turned left onto what must have been a more main road. What they could see by the moonlight was limited. Charlie filled in the time by asking some questions of Ezekiel, which to the old man made this stranger seem like a dimwit, indeed. Asking things such as where they were, and what was the year. But it soon became apparent that this may have been a ruse, as he then asked about the state of affairs on the island, and it was obvious that he knew of the people who were running things, such as Craycroft and Kerlin, and he even knew of Tom and Drachma. Ezekiel’s answers became a bit more guarded as they plodded on. Charlie sensed this and figured that he had touched on a sensitive nerve when he mentioned Drachma.

 

Wheezer was becoming more arousable as they went along and took more of the water before going back to sleep.

 

“How’s the laddie, then,” asked Ezekiel, “an’ d’ye think he’ll make it?”

 

“I really don’t know. If Maggie hadn’t been involved, I’d say that I doubted it, but with her being involved – she seemed to have some sort of otherworldly connection.”

 

“Maggie? I know not this lass. Is she kin t’ye?”

 

“Kin? No, she’s not.” Then it was Charlie whose answers became more guarded. For just how could you explain Maggie?

 

After another half hour, with as much information as they cared to divulge, the cart began the ascent to the castle. In the moonlit night, it stood out like some sort of gigantic form over the hill ahead of them. Charlie pulled out his little notebook with its drawing, to compare, but he couldn’t see anything on it. Nevertheless, he had an idea, and he put the notebook back into his pocket.

 

They approached the gate, and Charlie noted there were torches illuminating the magnificent archway, as well as inside the castle. They were stopped by a pair of guards at the gate, who asked their business at this hour. Ezekiel explained that they had an injured youth with them. 

 

The guards looked at the obviously injured youth, and said, “Well, ‘twould appear to be Wheezer, an’ ‘e looks to be in a sad state, indeed.”

 

“Aye, that be his name,” answered Ezekiel.

 

“Well, you may take ‘im to Sick Bay, but with him bein’ Wheezer and all, I canna’ say whether they’re likely to take ‘im in. Gerald will show ye the way. But what o’ the stranger? You, me man, where d’ye be from, and what be yer business here?”

 

“My name is Charles Stephens. And I’m not from this island.” Charlie reached into his pocket and pulled out the notebook, found the picture and handed it to the guards. “I was sent in search of this castle here. And on the way, I found this youth who had been injured, and was in a burning building…”

 

“Aye. ‘tis plain that ye’re not from this isle, as yer dress and yer speech do tell. Well, Gerald’ll keep an eye upon ye.”

 

“In truth, Sandy, look at this drawin’ o’ the castle! Ne’er have I seen anythin’ like it. It does appear to have been created by an artist or magician beyond our ken.”

 

The two guards passed his drawing back and forth. Ezekiel also took a look and whistled his approval. Eventually, they handed it back to Charlie, who quietly closed the notebook, then slipped it back into his pocket.

 

“Well, Gerald, ye can take ‘em to Sick Bay, but as I told ye, there’s no tellin’ whether they’ll take in yer lad.”

 

As the cart lumbered out into the courtyard, Charlie stared about him, and couldn’t believe his eyes. The place was enormous, and what he could see in the moonlight only added to the majesty of the castle. As they crossed the great courtyard then headed to the left Charlie was assaulted by the smells of the stables, and off in the distance a dog barked, with others joining. They came upon a fairly modest structure, where they stopped.

 

“Ye wait here, I’ll go inside ‘n see if’n they’ll see ye.” Gerald’s officiousness seemed somewhat comical to Charlie, but the three of them stayed put for the moment.

 

A few moments after, Gerald reappeared, with two other persons, one a large man, who walked with a noticeable limp, and the other a youth who virtually ran out to the cart ahead of the others.

 

“Wheezer! Are ye hurt?” Then the youth looked over the boy and called the other man over. “Come, Fergon, we must get this one inside quickly. And I shall send for Craycroft anon.”

 

The large man lifted Wheezer with the utmost care, and took him inside, the others following, with Charlie bringing up the rear. Inside the building, with its very tall ceilings, were multiple cots, with some taken up by an assortment of persons. They took Wheezer over to one of the far cots, where the youth took over, and began rapidly giving instructions and what it sounded to Charlie like orders. There was scurrying about, with one of the youths sent out, and the others carefully removing Wheezer’s clothing, and bringing him fresh linens. The young man was examining him, and when he came to the abdomen, his look became very grave. He was next allowed to rest, with clean covers, as one of the young women in attendance began heating some water in a large kettle, and another just stayed with the injured boy, gently stroking his face. 

 

When he could see that all was done as he had instructed, the youth in charge turned toward Charlie, and approached him.

 

“Now, kind sir, I do know of whence ye came, for yer clothes do give that away. But can ye tell me, please, how ye came upon poor Wheezer here?”

 

“You know where I came from?”

 

The youth nodded. “Aye. Ye’ve come from the same place as Master Robert, and the Lady Judy. Me name be Aaron, and I work fer Lord Craycroft. He be the ruler of our island.”

 

“And you asked how I came upon this poor boy, and I’ll tell you. But first, let me ask you, does the name Falma mean anything to you?”

 

“Aye, it does, indeed! It means that ye’d better tell Craycroft himself. And to let ye know that I’ve summoned him here anon.”

 

“And just one more thing, Aaron, does the name Derrymoor mean anything to you?”

 

“Derrymoor? Indeed, it does as well! ‘twould mean that ye’re in truly rare company, me good sir.”

 

Charlie put his hand in his pocket, and he felt the scrimshaw broach. He thought about showing Aaron. But then the door to the building opened, and in walked a group of men, whom Charlie immediately recognized as persons in charge.

 

Craycroft spoke first. “Now, Aaron, what is this pressing matter?” Then recognizing Charlie’s clothes. “And do introduce me to this man, who does appear in our midst, no doubt from Master Robert’s time and place.”

 

“Ah, Lord Craycroft, I know not his name, but he came here with the injured and badly burned Wheezer. And I believe it fitting that he tell ye the story of how he came to be here. Especially as he does come, mentioning the name of Falma.”

 

“Indeed! A name I have not heard in many months.” Craycroft paused, as he wiped away a stray tear. “Then do come, my man, and tell us your name and your tale, even as I examine this most unfortunate of urchins. I am Craycroft, the present lord of this castle and this isle. But I did not come to that title except by the will of the people. For I am trained as a physician, and not a ruler. And let me have you meet these gentlemen with me. This fine young man is Drachma, the Younger, who does go by the name of Tom.” Charlie’s eyes widened at this news. “And this fine fellow is none other than the earl of Derrymoor, who does, in fact rule over the island in the name of the English King.” 

 

“Now, let me get this straight,” said Charlie in a hoarse whisper. “In this room right now we have you, Mister Craycroft, along with Tom, whom I know through Falma, as well as the final piece of this puzzle – the earl of Derrymoor. Let me just sit down a minute, ‘cause this is a bit too much for me right now.”

 

Charlie then sat down on a bench, and he shook his head. He then said, “Tom, you know me, you know who I am and what I’m doing here, don’t you?”

 

“Aye, that I do. You are none other than Charles Stephens, the man who connects the lives of Lady Judy, and Master Robert, and the Lady Marilyn with the lives of the earl of Shepperton, along with Joshua, his parents, Janie and Earl, and now with Lonnie and Amanda; and, of course, our own dear Falma. Would that not be right?”

 

“Wow! I never thought about it that way, but I guess you’re right. I’m just a reporter from the twentieth century, but even though I’ve never met Judy, I do seem to have connections with all their lives.” He hesitated, and then went on. “But for now, I believe the life of this child is our major concern. And let me tell you, that I as usual, had no idea what I was walking into. I was brought over to your world by Falma, who told me where I was to go when I came out of the woods, but he, true to form, disappeared in the woods. Anyway, he told me to walk to the sea, which I did, when I came upon a small building, which was burning, and out of this building this youngster came crawling, who had been burnt and also stabbed. And you know what he said? He said that he had been told by someone named Maggie that I’d be by to take him to the inn of the village. And from there, here we are.”

 

Craycroft had already started examining Wheezer, but at the mention of Maggie, quickly turned and asked, “What do you know of Maggie? And how is it that you also have connections with the lass? ‘twould seem that you are a man of most extraordinary and far-reaching influence.” He then turned back to his patient and said, “but you are so right that we must attend to this lad’s needs. It would seem that he was, in fact stabbed in the belly. He is burned and has lost fluids. We shall take care to bandage his wounds, and try to provide him with fluids, but I would note that he is quite ill, and may be with us for a while. But you said that it was Maggie who told him that you would be by, and to bring him by way of the inn? Tell me was there a lass named Chrissy there at the inn?”

 

“Yes, there was.”

 

“Ah, that is good, then. The Inn of Four Arms, then. Am I right?”

 

“Aye, ye be right, m’lord,” answered Ezekiel.

 

“Well, me good man, when you get back to the inn, please tell yon mistress that she did well by me, and here’s a little something to take back for Chrissy, and one for you as well.” Craycroft took a couple of coins from his belt and handed them to the surprised Ezekiel.

 

“Oh, me thanks, m’lord. And I shall take this to Mistress Chrissy anon.” And then he stepped out of the building and headed back out into the night.

 

“Aaron, could you take these to the Four Arms,” said Craycroft, handing Aaron two coins, “and make certain that Chrissy does get these.”

 

Aaron winked his acknowledgment to Craycroft.

 

“But now, Master Charles, you did indicate that you knew something of Derrymoor, did you not?”

 

“Sort of… you see, I came with a puzzle. Before I left my own time and place, Janie who was Josh’s mother, died, and she gave me this pendant, with the name of Derrymoor on it.”

 

“A pendant?” asked Derrymoor, suddenly alarmed. “Might I see it, my good man?”

 

Charlie drew the pendant and its chain out of his pocket and handed it over to the earl. 

 

“And you say it came from your time and place?”

 

“Ah, well that’s sort of right. Before she died, she gave it to me, and said that it might provide some answers. But she didn’t indicate just what the questions were.”

 

“It would seem to me that our esteemed guest would need some sustenance, as there are multiple questions to answer, and they would be best answered over some victuals at Barncuddy’s. What do you say, Tom and Sir Derrymoor? Shall we?”

 

As Craycroft gave orders to the attendants for young Wheezer, Derrymoor looked carefully at the pendant, and then reverently placed it back into the hands of Charlie. Then Craycroft, Tom, Derrymoor, Aaron and Charlie all headed out into the night, and across the great courtyard toward Barncuddy’s Ale House.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment