Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Thursday, January 7, 2021

Center Game, Heir of Drachma, Book Two, Chapter Fifteen

Here is the next chapter in the series - enjoy!


 Chapter Fifteen

 

 

 

Hastily finishing his meal, the younger man turned toward his elder companion and stated, “It would seem, Master Guarneri, that our plan does need some force behind it. For I fear that Count Gregorio may have stumbled into a trap, and if so, then we are no better off for our efforts.”

 

Guarneri looked about, and noticing no one seemed interested, said, “So tell me, Emile, what is your proposal? It would seem that your own contacts with the king’s men could become singularly useful, no?”

 

“Aye that I do believe. And so, I have drafted this letter, to my patron, Salamanca, on the mainland. He is one of the king’s ablest knights, and it was he who originally sent me to Shepperton, to seek out what knowledge I could of this Master Robert, and to discredit him. And if that should not prove possible, to then send him word, and he would see to it that the king’s own machineries of war be put into motion.”

 

He pulled from his tunic a folded sheet of paper and handed it to the man seated across from him. Again, glancing about to be sure no one was witnessing the event, Guarneri took the letter and opened it to read.

 

My dear Salamanca,

Greetings from the Isle of Shepperton.

Thou art hereby notified that my time upon this island has assuredly been 

productive.  I have found much of this man, Master Robert of Ewe Ass.

He is most highly loved and respected upon this island, and now, it seems

that his fame has also reached the kingdom of Scotland. And, as thou hast

suspected, his ideas are truly dangerous, and he does need to be stopped.

He is presently sent toward the interior of our fair Isle, and he may be 

protected by a small, but mighty armed guard.

I do hereby request that ye send men of might, toward Killiburn, which is

Northeast of the island’s main port.

I shall attempt, through my own contact here, to have horses and

supplies of war at the ready for thy appearance.

Yours, faithfully

 

Emile Patronis

 

Having read it, Guarneri asked, “How soon can you have this epistle sent?”

 

“There be a two-masted ship, going to leave upon the morrow. And the captain is willing to have this letter delivered to the port of Liverpool, for a sum.”

 

“A sum? Just how much does he require? And is that anything that you have agreed to?”

 

“Three pounds is what he suggested. And my circumstances do not yet allow me to give him this amount.”

 

“I see, and for me providing this amount, I would assume that ye have something to offer…”

 

“Aye. For my own payment is also due upon arrival of the king’s men. Salamanca has told me so.”

 

“And do you trust this Salamanca?”

 

“Implicitly, aye.”

 

“Well, then, back to original question. If I were to loan ye the three pounds necessary, what would I get in return?”

 

“Why, I should think that ye’ll get the three pounds back, with interest…”

 

“Aye, that I would. But why don’t I take what you do have, until that time.”

 

Patronis thought for a moment, then sputtered, “But that would leave me with nothing but the clothes on my back. Destitute, and dependent…”

 

“Upon my good graces.” Guarneri finished his thought. “But worry not. For if ye do me bidding, I shall indeed take care of thy needs.”

 

The older man reached into his tunic, and pulled out his bag of coins, and pulling out three silver coins, laid them on the table. Then he reached across the table and held out his hand. Patronis fumbled for his own meager coin pouch and emptied it into the palm of his companion. Guarneri slid the silver coins across the table.

 

“Now go ye and pay for the letter to be sent. But first, let me seal it with my own seal, so that Master Salamanca shall know that ye do mean business.”

 

Patronis took the letter, with its red wax seal, placed it within his tunic, and he quickly exited, heading for the pier. As he left, he realized how glad he was that he had told Guarneri the inflated price of the letter, and he pocketed the one silver pound, with the other two in his money bag for payment of the passage on the ship. To be utterly dependent on that old man was not what he envisioned. Further, he was happy that he had used most of what monies he had gotten from LeGace to purchase the services of Tierney. He would definitely be needing him.

 

 

 

 

As Stefano led the former prisoners around the huge boulder, they could see ahead of them the extraordinary shape of Castle Kearney, as if growing out of the forest.

 

“What is this place? I’ve never seen anything like it.” Judy’s astonishment and enthusiasm spilled over to Alex.

 

“It looks like the home of giants! Is this where Drachma lives?”

 

“Indeed, now does it not?” Diane remembered seeing this place once as a young girl, about Alex’s age. “Nay, child, this be not Drachma’s forest home. Rather this place is called Castle Kearney, and it be the place where the Forest Guard are trained and do reside.”

 

They moved on up the path toward the great stone archway, and as they came under the arch, were greeted by a pair of guards in their green uniforms.

 

“Stefano, Martin! And Stoneheft! Welcome… and I extend Drachma’s welcome to all. Do come in, and please partake of your welcoming feast. Now, we did hear of yer coming, and of the precious persons here among you, and all should be made ready fer ye. Now, just leave yer horses with us, and Jeremiah an’ I shall make certain they’re cared for, and properly groomed.”

 

“Thanks to ye, David. And I must say that we are a most tired lot. Come now, and I shall introduce ye to the Lady Judy, her companions, and to Prince Diego.” 

 

Stefano dismounted, handed the reins to Jeremiah, and walked with David back to the cart. There, Alex and Diane were already out of the cart, while Judy and Diego were both struggling to get up and out of the back. David reached into the cart and helped Judy to her feet. Stefano likewise helped Diego.

 

“Friends, this is David, one o’ the Guard, and one of me oldest friends. He is here to welcome us to Castle Kearney. Now, David, this fine lady is the Lady Judy, wife of Master Robert…”

 

“I am entranced, m’lady.” He bowed his head to her. A slightly puzzled look appeared briefly on his face, and then disappeared.

 

“And this be Diane, wife to Cayman o’ the Castle Guard, and mother of Master Eustace, over yonder.”  David bowed his head to her as well. “And this be Prince Diego, who did arrive upon our isle, but was severely injured, and assisted in his recovery by this young lass, name of Alexandra.

 

“I am most pleased t’ meet ye, m’lord,” he said with another bow. “And ye, m’lass, whose face does shine with special intelligence, are also most welcome. And now, if ye’ll direct yer attention to this fine lass, name o’ Meara. She shall lead ye inside, and show ye to yer rooms, and the insides o’ this castle.”

 

“Meara curtsied, and uttered her greeting as well. “Come, now, an’ I shall show ye where ye’ll be stayin’. And it is wi’ pleasure that I welcome ye.”

 

And then she turned and bade the others to follow her into the castle. And what followed her was a conglomerate of persons from the young to the older, all sweaty, tired and stiff. Meara led Judy with care, and Diego held on to Alex, as they half stumbled in through the heavy doorway to the interior of the castle. Its magnificence, though less ostentatious that Shepperton Castle, was a sight, which to a person was at once welcoming, yet so plush as to take one’s breath. The long corridors, with their windows framed by heavy drapes, and the floor covered by richly redolent carpets, and the warm glow from all the lamps along the way brought about appreciative stares from the likes of Gilbert, Eustace and Chauncey, and a subtle, crooked smile from Diego.

 

After all the guests had been shown their quarters, and had a chance to clean up, they were taken by the servants toward the massive dining room, now arrayed with roast venison and vegetables, fragrant yeast rolls, bowls of fruit and flagons of ale. At the head of the table was David, and at his right sat Judy, with Diane. At his left were Alexandra and Diego. The rest of the places were filled by Eustace, Chauncey, Gilbert, Martin, Stoneheft, as well as assorted Forest Guard members. The guests were famished, and ate without speaking, and when second helpings were offered, they were eagerly downed as well. As they drank the ale from their flagons, their tumblers were quickly refilled by the servants all about. The sensations of warmth, satiety and comfort were felt by everyone with the exception of Judy.

 

With her own keen senses alerted, Alex came to Judy and asked, “Lady Judy, would it help you to know that yer Master Robert is aw’right?”

 

“Oh, Alex,” Judy replied with her eyes now overflowing with tears, “if you only could know such a thing.”

 

The youngster smiled. “Oh, Lady Judy, it is one o’ the things that I do know, as surely as I know ye’re havin’ a girl. Yer man is now in the company of Hermes an’ Kevin, and they be in Killiburn. So, don’ be afraid.”

 

Judy didn’t feel better. She was in yet another place where she was a stranger. And yes, this was a fine meal, and she did at least feel safe, with Diane at her side. But she was without Bob, Jeanne or Melchior, and was without her home. As reassuring as she had been to Bob when he expressed his anxieties, she did not feel reassured now. Inexplicably, she began to recall her old life, the life with all of its stresses, its loneliness, its own tensions; but medical care, which you could assume would be good to excellent, was at your disposal. And now here, in this time and place, with its needs, demands and its uncertainties, not to mention primitive medical care… suddenly she felt abandoned.

 

“Oh, Alex, what could you know of my worries? You are just six years old, and I wouldn’t want you to worry. But thank you.” She hugged the girl beside her.

 

“Lady Judy, me mum told me not to worry, and so I don’t.”

 

And then the realization hit her. Here was a six-year old, away from her mother, out with a band of strangers, as alone as any one of them, and who had faced real dangers, who was now providing solace to someone she just met days ago. Here she was, telling Judy not to be afraid. 

 

A tear rolled down her cheek, as Judy said, “Oh, Alex, I’m so sorry.”

 

“It does seem to me,” spoke up Chauncey, from across the table, “that this six-year-old lassie’s heart and her courage do appear to come from some source beyond our ken. And if ye recall, she told me of me own Sylvie, whom she says is now upon the island, and looks fer me. And ‘twould seem to me that whate’er yer needs, and whate’er me own needs, that someone knows, and is making known through this lass. Fer I’ve heard nothing from her lips that was not truth.”

 

“Truth,” broke in Gilbert, “aye she is one in touch with truth. Fer I tell ye she knew the truth about the blue light, though she had no experience of what it meant to me. And yet she knew – aye, she knew. She told me, and then what could I do but surrender? Fer I then knew, it was truth – so much more powerful than that which I had been following after. And so it be, m’lady, that Chauncey and I shall be on guard fer ye, e’en though yer Master Robert be not here.”

 

“Why thank you Gilbert, and also Chauncey. But it is not fear of any mortal threat which disturbs me - it is something else. Something over which none of us has control.”

 

“What is it, m’lady?” Asked Diane. “What d’ye fear? And is there anythin’ I could do fer ye?”

 

“I don’t know, Diane. And if I knew, what could anyone do?”

 

“What d’ye mean by that?”

 

“Well, I’ll explain if I can. You see, where I came from, in that time and place, when a woman gets pregnant, she typically sees an obstetrician (that’s a physician who specializes in taking care of pregnant women) or her family physician, and the doctor generally sees her and runs tests on her blood, and examines her with ultrasound, and does other tests to determine if the woman and her baby are healthy. And then the doctor follows along, during her pregnancy, and monitors her and her baby to see if all is well. And if there is something wrong, he may do things to reduce her risks, and the risks to her baby.”

 

“Is that what ye fear?” Asked Alex. “Fer to you comes Charlie Stephens, wi’ somethin’ from yer own time.”

 

What a strange pronouncement! Thought Judy. 

 

“Charlie Stephens?” That name rattled something memorable in her mind, which she couldn’t bring to the fore. “That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Who is this Charlie Stephens?”

 

“That I know not. But what I know is that he is friends wi’ Janie, wi’ Lonnie, and also Marilyn.”

 

Judy’s head was spinning. Someone who knows Janie, Lonnie and also knows Marilyn! What could all of this mean? Her mind went back to Tom’s strange pronouncement to Bob, in which he said that Bob would need the help of Hermes, Alex, but also Marilyn. And now this Charlie Stephens. Who is he, and what could he possibly have that I would need? And all at once it hit her! Charlie Stephens, that smarmy little TV reporter. Could it be the same man? And what was he doing in their lives?

 

“I don’t know, Alex… I have some serious misgivings about this Charlie Stephens.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment