Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Friday, July 17, 2020

Center Game, Heir of Drachma, Book Two - Chapter Five

Here, for you reading pleasure, is Chapter Five of Center Game, Heir of Drachma, Book Two. I would be curious to hear what you think.

Chapter Five



The village of Killiburn lies on an outcropping of land by the sea. From the south it is sheltered by the hills, but to the north lies the grey expanse of the channel, as far as one could see. And what the two men were looking at was out in the water, a hundred yards to the northeast - one of the three-masted ships used by Italians and Portuguese for their commercial voyages. They could occasionally make out the few sailors left on board, the majority of the men, having made up the landing party, had left two days ago.

“So, it would seem, Master Guarneri, that your own plans have superseded those of Master LeGace, no?” The younger of the two men asked. “For the present time, at least, you might have the upper hand.”

“Not really, Emile,” he answered warily, “for we know not what effect LeGace’s plans shall have. I know this much – that he has captured some prisoners. And I also know what he intends to do in the larger picture. But I do not know if what we have put in motion shall succeed. Now you are fairly certain of the information you gave me. And your own aims, as well as my own designs do appear to lie along the same line. But we are relying on an irascible scoundrel. I do not trust his judgment, nor his own control over his temper.”

“You do know him better than I, but still, it would seem to me that he stands a reasonable chance of intercepting the party. And if he does, then your own plans would most certainly succeed, no?”

“Aye. I do believe they would. But do not underestimate the Forest Guard, which patrol the forest lanes. And also, Drachma’s own little army, which works hand-in-glove with the Forest Guard.”

“Oh, I was unaware that Drachma had his own army…”

“Indeed, he does, and they are hand-picked warriors, the likes of which have controlled his own private estates.”

 “Oh? Could you please explain? For this is one aspect of your planning that you have not elucidated to me.”

“Well, let me explain.” Guarneri turned around, then he pointed to the southern hills. “You see, off in the distance toward Croftus Knob. All the forested lands in the island’s interior are considered to be the original earl’s lands. And they are now considered owned by Craycroft, through a relationship that Craycroft has established with the earl of Derrymoor. Apparently, this serves the king’s own needs, and he does not usually bother with the issues of land ownership – that is, as long as he still has his own supply of Shepperton pots.”

“Aye, of that much I am aware. For I do know something of the king’s own concerns.”

“Now to be perfectly honest, I would say that the management of the island’s interior is nothing to be trifled with, and I, myself have never had occasion to go into the forest, preferring to stay along the coastal areas. But I have studied maps of the interior, and do know of its various routes, and its byways toward the villages. For it was necessary to know this in my previous profession.”

“Ah, as overseer of the production of the pots, no?”

“Aye.” Guarneri paused. Then he continued. “Well, I did get to know of certain individuals who became familiar with the byways of the interior, and among them was the older fellow whom you met the other day.”

“Aye, the fellow named Samuel…”

“Now, back in the days of yore, Samuel worked for me, as an informer, so I could be certain of the production details. Now I am quite sure that Samuel was not particularly honest, but honest enough that I could report on a monthly basis to my own Master Vincente on the continuous supply of raw material for our own potters. And it seems that everyone was reasonably happy with the results. And what this meant to me was that I did not need to go into the interior. A place that I abhor…”

“Oh, and why is that?”

“The interior forest is a place of ancient mystery and of legend. A place of forbidding forces, of wolves and of wild men – not a place for the civilized to tread.”

“I see,” said Patronis. Then a thought occurred to him. “But you hesitated not to send Count Gregorio into those same forests.”

“Nay, I did not hesitate to send him and his armed men into the interior. For you see, whatever they may accomplish or not – either way, we are most assured of success.” 

“Ah, I see. And just how certain are you of all this?”

“Certain enough.” Guarneri replied. “And with Samuel to report back to me, I do believe that we shall prevail.”

A look of doubt clouded the younger man’s face, as he spoke, “Master Guarneri, here is where I do become uncertain – am I missing something?”

“Let me see if I might make it clearer for you. Now, if Count Gregorio seizes the party, and brings them back to his ship, then we reap the benefits of telling him about the bounty he now has to trade for his desires. And, further, you have the benefit of knowledge to tell the king’s men of this count’s treachery. And I believe, as do you, that it would be unlikely that King Henry would let an Italian count steal away his source of precious pottery. And I would then be most assuredly seen favorably by the king, and be appointed charge over the potters’ guild.”

“But what if the count is unsuccessful – what then?”

“Now consider…if the count is either not successful in finding the party, or if he should find the party and be subsequently routed by the Forest Guard. What then?  Who should be the first to know, but we two, thanks to our little informer, who would be following the group at a safe distance. He would then return to us with the news. Whereupon we would be in position to institute our secondary plan.”

“Which would put us indirectly into the enemy’s hands…”

“Ah, but with an advantage that would yield ultimate victory. Think on that!”

“Oh, aye.”

The two men turned and headed back to the village, and to the home of Samuel.






With a sense of high purpose, Aaron and Mortimer walked into Barncuddy’s Ale House. While Craycroft, Kerlin, Cayman and the others would be in their grim meeting, Craycroft had told Aaron that his own task was all the more important.  And Aaron knew and understood perfectly. Mortimer, still very new to this whole business of being a page to their liege lord, was along both to learn and to offer moral support.

“Well, now if it isn’t me little friends, Aaron and Mortimer,” Barncuddy greeted the youthful pair. “Could ye tell me, lads, what it is that brings ye here this fine mornin’?”

“We be comin’ in on assignment for Lord Craycroft,” answered Aaron. 

“On assignment, is it? What kind? Let me guess – ye’d like to talk with the two gentlemen from last evenin’ wouldn’t ye?”

“Umm, aye. We would like that indeed, Master Barncuddy. Now, would that be possible?”

“Indeed, I do believe it would. Now if ye but wait here, I do believe that I shall be able to get the men down to talk.”

With that said, Barncuddy went up the stairs, and came down again leading two men, who recognized Aaron, and smiled.

“Ah, me friend, Aaron – come sit down. Master Barncuddy tells me that ye’d like some more information, is it?” It was the bigger of the two men, one named Clifton, who spoke.

“Oh, that’d be right, sire.  And thank ye.” Said Aaron, very politely, as he and Mortimer sat down quickly.

“Well, lads, now who is this ye be servin’?” asked the smaller, darker man, named Enoch. “Fer it would’na be meet to just talk to the wind, now d’ye think?”

“Oh, but sire, I… that is, we be workin’ fer Lord Craycroft himself, and he does ask fer yer presence at table this very evenin’.” Answered Aaron.

“Very well, lads,” said Clifton, without pretense. “Tell us what it is you want from us. And pray, tell your master that we shall be more than happy to dine with him today.”

“Well, ye know we were here last evenin’ and ye got to talkin’ o’ those two men ye said were some o’ the king’s men? Why that got Lord Craycroft quite interested. And he asked that Mortimer and I go and talk wi’ ye this mornin’.”

“Fine, then, m’lads. We’ll talk, and ye could then tell Master Craycroft.” Clifton stretched, and made himself comfortable. Aaron and Mortimer both pulled their chairs closer and leaned over to hear. “Now, lads, this tale goes back a ways. We had been travelin’ from Scotland, and we landed on the other side o’ yer island, and we were told that a Councilor Rust lived and worked somewhere within the island’s main castle. We know that he was a man of true virtue, and he knows things of importance, and that he’s also a man of true learnin’. Now tell me, that’d be true, eh?”

“Aye. That certainly be true, sire. Ye be right about that.”

“Well, anyway, we come from Edinburgh, from one o’ the schools there, It’s one called Prince Rupert’s School for Young Men. Anyway, we heard about yer own academy, and that it was there that true learnin’ took place. Now mind ye, we’re both alchemists, and we both teach at this school. But it came to us that there was upon yer isle, one teacher of some renown, a Master Robert, who teaches with some authority. This also is true, no?”

“Oh, Aye. That’d be true indeed.”

“Well, ye see, Master Rust is known to me partner, here, from prior years at Cambridge.”

“Oh, aye, indeed,” said Enoch, “though I don’t know if he’d be rememberin’ me – it’s been so many years back. But that’d be somethin’ to go on. Anyway, we got permission to come here, from the headmaster, and to try to bring back some o’ this knowledge, and we may stay fer the better part of the year, before goin’ back. And I was thinkin’ that me own ties to Councilor Rust just might get us places with the academy…”

“As students or teachers?” asked Mortimer.

That brought out a lighthearted chuckle from the two men.

Clifton then said, “Why, as students, lads. We come to learn – for if it is true what they say, then we have more to learn from this place, which we may then take back with us to Edinburgh. But that’s just why we be comin’ here. And you ‘d be askin’ about what we observed in Killiburn, now wouldn’t ye?”

“Oh, aye, sirs. But we could take ye to meet with Councilor Rust when we be done here.” Aaron added. “We both know where his place is, e’en though right now he’s certain to be meetin’ wi’ Lord Craycroft in his chambers.”

“That’d be right, fer I just brought him o’er to the keep,” put in Mortimer.

“Aye, so anyway,” said Aaron, bringing them back on track, “Ye were in Killiburn, on the way here, and ye saw these two men…”

“Aye, that be right, Laddie. But ere the two men, there was the ship.”

“The ship?”

“Oh, aye, the three-masted ship. A number of heavily armed men came off that ship. And these two men took an instant interest in the doings of the men, and spent some time talking with the leaders of the men aboard the ship. They then arranged for mounts for the landin’ party and saw to their departure. It was quite apparent that the older of the two men at the least was quite familiar with the doings on your island.”

“Oh, my!” said Aaron. “The ship and its landing party would suggest that count Gregorio has already landed. And can ye tell me, is he headed in this direction?”

“Nay, lads. And that be somethin’ of interest. For, ye see, the party was sent into the interior of the island – toward your great mountain.”

“Toward Croftus Knob, eh?” Suddenly, it became apparent to Aaron what this all meant. “We must tell Craycoft! Come with us, good sirs. While I do know that he is now meetin’ with persons who share his concerns about Shepperton Isle, I also know that what you have to say he would want to hear. And he should like to hear it now.”

“If ye say so, m’lad.” Said Clifton. “Then we should go, as ye say.”



No comments:

Post a Comment