Table of Contents

How to navigate this blog

As chapters are published weekly be sure to search for any unread chapters in the list before reading the current post. Feel free to add questions or comments regarding what you have read.

I appreciate your support with this project.







Sunday, November 22, 2015

TV or not...

Now I find myself in something of a quandary. As with so much in the world of writing, publishing and being "out there", I find myself ever at the mercy of forces which I do not understand (nor do I really want to).

What I am facing is the prospect of turning my trilogy over to those who make decisions for the masses - yes, Hollywood, and specifically, television. I do know that I've talked with a number of you out there who have said that they would like to see it made into a movie. But to be honest with you, I have always thought that, like Game of Thrones, it would do better as a TV series. And if you think about it, there has never been anything remotely like it produced for television - ever. And so I would ask you what do you think of the prospect of The Book of Drachma as a TV series? Kind of Michael Crichton meets the Highlander, eh?

And this brings up several concerns, not the least of which is that, even if they like it, and decide to make a TV series (or even a TV pilot episode) of it, just what would it look like? Would I even be able to recognize it? It has been said that even if the Hollywood big guys muck it up terribly, the money that you make from such a contract would be worth it.

Personally, I don't think so. And I say this for a couple of reasons. The first is that I still have myself to live with, and if someone is using my name, and I can't stand what they have done to my "offspring", what good is the money? And the second reason is that I've seen what they can do to books that I have loved, and generally it is not nice. Also, I've been witness to what Hollywood does when given free reign. Think about the series Saint Elsewhere. It started out pretty good, and most of the nitpicking that I could do was of a minor sort. But then they got rid of their medical advisor (OK, it was only a dermatology resident from California), and the show quickly sank into oblivion. In fact, it was St Elsewhere, and what happened to it, that provided some of the impetus for my own novel.

So think about it. I know I will... And I would really like your feedback on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment